Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Annotated Bibliography

Allen, Thomas. The Washington Monument It Stands For All. New York: Discovery Communications, 2000.
One of the most famous monuments in Washington D.C is the Washington Monument. This book elaborates on George Washington as a role model and at one point in time, the leader of our country. This book tells us in detail strictly on George Washington our first president of the United States. It began with “Without George Washington it is difficult to imagine how any of this could have happened.” (Allen 9). This book starts out providing us more direct information on the Washington Monument telling us why it was build as a tribute to George Washington. It then leads into how it was built and what is inscribed on the walls of the Monument. All designed by architects, this Monument stands out being the tallest and the most immediately recognized by its design.

I chose this book because it tells a lot about one of the famous monuments located in Washington D.C. I figured that since the route of the Marine Corps Marathon passes this monument twice, that it is worth researching about. The author, Thomas Allen, did a fantastic representation of the Monument, evaluating the building and informing readers about the past, gives us the knowledge of why and how it became. This book is appropriate to my research and definitely useful. I happen to think if all books were as elaborate such as this, then I would considerably be in good shape for my paper. There were some parts that I had troubles understanding but that is because I am not as interested in history as I am about the architect itself.


Benson, Laura. Washington D.C. A Scrapbook. Charlesbridge. 1999.
The overall headline of this book is to describe the main importance of specific landmarks and interesting buildings. This is a fun facts book that was a quick read. This book offers facts about what can be found in the District of Columbia. Once again bringing up the different monuments and cultural sites all located in Washington D.C

This is a fun book that caught my attention just by it’s title. This is relevant to my research because every page has a new subject and has new information that is not mentioned in any other book. This is also fun because if offers little facts like “D.C. stands for the District of Columbia. It was named in honor of Christopher Columbus.” (Benson 3). This ties in with my subject of the route because it gives a little more information on the city of Washington D.C and why it is important to America.


Dietz, Eric. Interview. Lyly Nguyen. July 2007
Why did you decide to participate in the October 29, 2006 Marine Corps Marathon?

“Because I wanted to do something to honor my brother. Even though my brother was a Navy Seal and the Marine Corps Marathon was the only marathon out there that you can run in honor of a fallen soldier.”

Do you think it is appropriate to have the race in Washington D.C.? Why?

“Yeah, because I think Washington D.C shows a lot of American Pride with all the monuments there.”

What do you think stands out throughout the entire race?

“The whole reason I was doing the marathon was for my brother, Danny P. Dietz Jr. and that was what stood out by far.”

What was going through your mind while running the marathon?

“The fact that so many people dream of running a marathon and the fact that I was actually there doing it. Ummm, also the fact that my brother’s training was so hard and when I got tired, I thought this isn’t anything compared to what my brother went through.”

How was the scenery?

“The scenery was awesome! That was my first time in Washington D.C. so I was excited to look at the scenery because I love to travel.”

Many people describe the marathon as the best scenic run, would you agree?

“I don’t know, that was my first marathon I’ve ever ran. I’m sure there are some really nice places to run but.. I wouldn’t know. But as for my own personal experience, I thought it was awesome.”

What is the most memorable “scenery” to you?

“Honestly, it was running through Georgetown, because I have heard so many things about the college that running through the town was pretty cool. You also saw people eating in the restaurants while you were running by and I thought that was pretty crazy. Running by the Washington Channel and the Potomac River was an awesome sight because I love the water.”

Would you say that the route was appropriate in the way that it is routed? Would you have changed it any other way, maybe passing by another street or building?

“Yeah, because you get to pass all the monuments and that was really cool. Probably not, because what better scene could you have gotten?”

If you would to run the marathon again would you? Why?

“I don’t think so, because now that I have ran a marathon, I want to try to find harder challenges. Trying to find a bigger obstacle to conquer.”

What other obstacle would you say is more difficult than a marathon?

“I’ve always thought about doing a triathlon, but instead of doing that, I think I will follow my brothers footsteps and train to become a Navy Seal.”

Do you have any other comments on the Marine Corps Marathon?

“I think the Marine Corps Marathon is amazing because I think it is a way to better people’s health and to honor our fallen soldiers. I think it takes a lot of pride for someone to run a marathon like this because this marathon you run for someone else, this isn’t to honor yourself, this is running for a fallen soldier.”

This is my most valuable source because this interview was a face to face conversation of a participant who ran the marathon. His voice was so proud and honorable that he ran in honor of his brother who was KIA in Afghanistan. The most relevant resource of my entire project is this interview. I would say that this is very intriguing, and interesting just to listen and ask questions about the race and why he ran. To sum up, all my resources will definitely help me write my final paper but most of all, I will rely on this interview.


Gunawan, Halfg. “Semper Fi, Marathoners!” October 29, 2006 .
The original take of a marathoner’s perspective on the Marine Corps Marathon. This website pertains to one’s personal experience of running the Marine Corps Marathon. It explains all the if’s, and’s and but’s of the marathon spoken by someone who actually took on the challenge of running 26.2 miles. This is an awesome blog that Halfg Gunawan proposed because it does elaborate on what the marathon passes and what it took to finish the race.

I looked on this website and read the article that Halfg Gunawan proposed and it was just perfect to my topic. He explains the route in complete detail and even provided pictures for support. This narrows my research because not only do I explain which monuments are on the route and how it was created, but this website/ blog does as well. I completely had an extra article on what I was trying to explain myself. I was ecstatic to find this webpage and believe it will help me throughout my topic and paper. This webpage does offer different blogs which will help me expand on my topic in detail.


Johnson, Beth. “Marine Corps Marathon Generates Income for the Metro Area.” Washington Running Report June 2007.
Beth Johnson specified on the earnings the Marine Corps Marathon has received. Within this article describes why runners from across the country has chosen this race as a good race to run therefore, accumulating a large fund for the Marathon. Embedded within the text states the pathos of each runner in addition to the economic impact the Marine Corps Marathon provided.

I believe this article could have been expanded with more information. I thought this was a good article because it gave information on the runner’s perspective. There are several quotes provided that describes a runner’s contribution to the Marathon. Statistics show that runners usually run a marathon for the sole purpose representing in the name of a close relationship of a family member or friend. I thought this article was useful because it gave a broad idea of why people chose to run this marathon. I was able to use the quotes of the interviews this article had consumed and I thought it was interesting. Year after year, this marathon has shown a significant boost in the number of runners which possibly shows that they are willing to run based on the course and the meaning behind the course as well.



Kirkush, Iraq. “Deployed Troops Run Marine Corps Marathon.” Defend America October 2005.
Although the article was based on a soldier’s experience, it shows the dept of a participant’s courage to run a marathon. This article summarizes the courage and strength a runner faces when determined to run a marathon. It tells us the mentality a runner has when willing to run 26.2 miles. This article is relevant because it also describes how to train for a marathon, a reason for a participant to run, and although there were some issues during a race, it shows the determination that an individual must not fail.

I believe this is an amazing article because it gave a summary of what a person must feel like when faced with a family matter or personal issues. This story was written almost as if all runners participating in this marathon face some story behind why they are running. This article pertains to my topic because it gives me an idea of why there are an increasing amount of people running this particular marathon. This article was touching and hit close to home with me. That is why I thought it was very intriguing.


Mullen, Marshall. “Marine Corps Marathon Changes Route.” Sun Gazette March 2004.
“Marine Corps Marathon Changes Route,” is an ideal article for my topic. On March of 2004, the route of the Marine Corps Marathon has changed due to the overwhelming participants of this marathon. Year after year, since 1975, the Marine Corps Marathon has shown great success of supporters throughout the world. The route of the marathon is the layout and the base of the marathon and those who chose to run it are supporting the sponsors. This article describes how many runners there were in the beginning of 1975 to what it is in 2004. With this, the article presents an overflow of emotions stating that the route must change because of increasing number of runners throughout the following years.

The summary of this article is straight forward and is meaningful to my primary source. It is everything that I need to describe the routes length. This article gives me the exact race information of where it begins to where it ends and the reason of why the course must change. The author, the title, and the text are all direct and straight to the point. I thought this is a great article to use because it describes in detail of the route changes. It was not as large in length however it didn’t need to be because there is not much to say about how the new route is suppose to look.


Scott, Pamela, and Antoinette J. Lee. Buildings of the District of Columbia. New York, New York: Oxford University Press, 1993.
Buildings of the District of Columbia focuses on the idea of how the District of Columbia or what is now known as Washington D.C. formed it’s name to be the nations marvelous capitol. Throughout this book, describes the history of how each name, each building, and each important person all contributed to the making and founding of the District of Columbia. It begins with the history of the District of Columbia describing the value of George Washington and how his achievements lead to architects wanting to build a statue or a monument in honor of his great valor to the nation. George Washington’s primary plan was to make this city magnificent by the architect thereby designating private architects to build such buildings. Each building in the District of Columbia is designed either by federal architectural offices or commissioned from architects of national stature. They were built by chosen professionals who then created the phrase “Good architects make good architecture.” (Scott 14).

This is the primary information that helps me articulate my primary source of the route of the Marine Corps Marathon. Buildings of the District of Columbia has been the most helpful in description and history of what I need to write about for my paper. Every chapter in the book has given me a plethora of information of important monuments and streets which is significant to me because it lays out the idea of why Washington D.C is important for the route of the Marine Corps Marathon. This book is very enlightening for one to research information on buildings. It is set up for individuals to know about how the district came about and why. There are some sections where it gets a little to complex and boring. However, it gets to the point why each building symbolizes an important role to the District of Columbia. This book is very informational and is useful to my research.


Usatf.org. 2001-2007. USA Track and Field. July 2007 href="http://www.usatf.org/">http://www.usatf.org/.
The main discussing of this webpage is what an individual must do if interested in running. This page offers information on which type of run, what equipment to run with, and the different types of locations a race is located. I would presume that this is the starting position one must learn in order to run.

This is a credible webpage because it offers information on the history of it’s organization. The main purpose was to find how the route of the Marine Corps Marathon was created because it is certified by the USATF (USA Track and Field). This helps me narrow my search because I am able to find detail on how the track of the Marine Corps Marathon was created. This then narrows my search to why it passes by the different monuments and the specific streets it crosses as well.

No comments: